Managing evening traffic congestion on the Blacksburg campus
From: Virginia Tech Police Department and Transportation Services
Virginia Tech Operations leaders are aware of early evening traffic congestion in recent weeks on the Blacksburg campus and understand the frustrations associated with navigating these delays.
Strategies we will continue to employ and adapt to help ease evening congestion include:
- Closely monitoring traffic conditions across campus,
- Ensuring left turns onto Prices Forks Road are prohibited from the Perry Street Garage, Monday - Friday, 3 - 6 p.m. (marked by signage),
- Partnering closely with construction teams to maintain two exit lanes from the Perry Street Garage,
- Assigning Virginia Tech Police Department members to assist as needed with aiding traffic flow,
- Posting the latest road closure impacts on the Campus Closures Map and Transportation Services’ Twitter,
- Highlighting the range of alternative transportation options available to all university community members,
- Maintaining safe and accessible pedestrian pathways throughout the Perry Street region, and
- Maintaining ADA-compliant parking in the Perry Street Garage.
Some of the delays can be attributed to the abundance of construction taking place across campus set to transform our academic and residential offerings. Students and employees may also still be finding their rhythm in transitioning to in-person learning and work after three semesters of being remote.
Regardless, we’ll continue to monitor traffic impacts closely and respond accordingly. When applicable, supervisors should connect with their employees around work agreements that best meet their professional and personal needs.
Thank you for your continued understanding and patience.