Virginia Tech Police Department offers safety tips for ride-booking services; Safe Ride another good option for getting home
From: Virginia Tech Police Department
Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind when using ride-booking and sharing services.
- Use only clearly identifiable ride-booking service vehicles that are called to your location.
- Always double-check the license plate number, make, and model of the vehicle when your driver arrives. If it doesn't match what is appearing in the app, do not get in.
- Ensure the driver can identify your name when using ride-booking. When the vehicle arrives, lean in without getting in the car, and ask the driver, “Who are you here for?” or "What is my name?" Do not get in unless the driver can identify your name.
- Share your trip status with a friend when using ride-booking via the ride-booking app or the Friend Walk feature within the Hokie Ready app. They can track your trip and see your ETA.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
- Always wear a face covering during the pandemic.
- Buckle up.
Open to all students, faculty, staff, and visitors, the Virginia Tech Police Department’s Safe Ride service offers Hokies a fast way to request a safe ride home. Safe Ride operates from dusk until dawn and provides free transportation or a walking escort, upon request, to persons who must cross campus during the nighttime alone.
Safe Ride hours
Sunday through Friday: 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Saturday: 7 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Sunday through Friday: 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Saturday: 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
While the van is not operated during all hours between dusk until dawn, the service itself is still available. If Safe Ride is requested outside the normal operating hours of the van, the police department will offer either a ride with a police officer or a walking escort, depending on availability.
How to access Safe Ride
Between dusk and dawn, university members can:
- Download and utilize the TransLoc Rider app, which is available free through the App Store and Google Play or
- Call 540-231-SAFE (7233) to request a ride.
Hokie Ready app
You can also use the Hokie Ready app to ensure a safe trip home. Using the Friend Walk feature within the Hokie Ready app, send your location in real-time to a friend so they can watch as you navigate to your final destination via foot or car. Your friend will also be able to trigger a call to emergency services. There are also countless other safety resources within the free app.
For more information or questions, please call the Virginia Tech Police Department general information line at 540-231-6411 or email email@example.com.
For more information and safety tips from Virginia Tech Police, click here.
Prepared by Grace Hobson