Flu season is coming; protect yourself and others with a flu vaccine
From: Hokie Wellness
Thank you to all of the members of our community who have received their COVID-19 vaccine. Your commitment to your health as well as the health of your family and others in the community is a critical part of the fight against COVID-19.
While fighting the pandemic continues to be an important focus, fall is the time when other respiratory illnesses, like flu, begin to spread. It’s important that we all take the necessary steps to reduce the spread of these seasonal illnesses too. That’s why Virginia Tech is encouraging all employees and students a to get a flu vaccination.
Hokie Wellness flu vaccine clinics:
As a service to all employees, Hokie Wellness offers flu vaccination clinics each fall. The clinics are for employees only to limit the number of visitors on campus. Families/dependents of employees may be vaccinated at the drive through clinic on Oct. 30; see below for more information.
- Salaried faculty and staff who are covered by state health insurance plans must show their insurance card to receive a free vaccine.
- Non-student wage employees may also receive a free flu vaccine at the clinics by showing their Hokie Passport.
- Salaried faculty and staff who are not covered by state health insurance plans may received a flu vaccine at the clinics; please be prepared to pay $25 by cash or check at the clinic.
Flu vaccination clinics begin Oct. 5 and run through Oct. 30 at locations across campus. Registration is required for the flu clinics. Please be aware of the following:
- Because the flu clinics will be held in indoor public spaces, masks will be required to be worn and attendees will be asked to maintain physical distancing.
- Individuals who feel sick, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 should not attend the event.
- Only injectable flu vaccines will be available at these clinics.
Following is information on the clinic locations, dates, and times:
- North End Center: Oct. 5, 12, 26, and 28, 8 a.m. – 2:30 pm.
- Steger Hall: Oct. 6, 13, and 27, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- North End Center – drive through clinic: Oct. 30, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Families/ dependents of employees may attend this clinic.
NOTE: The registration link above contains specific information about each clinic.
Other ways to get a flu vaccine:
If you are unable to make it to a Hokie Wellness clinic, vaccinations are also available at most local pharmacies and through health care providers.
State health plan members may get a free flu vaccine at pharmacies participating in their health plan’s network.
- COVA Care, COVA HDHP, and COVA HealthAware members also may receive flu shots at no cost from network physicians’ offices and other participating providers.
- Kaiser Permanente HMO members must go to a participating Kaiser medical center.
Contact your health plan provider if you have questions about your benefits or for information on receiving flu vaccines from non-network providers or pharmacies. If you plan to get your flu vaccine at a pharmacy, be sure to call ahead to confirm the pharmacy is participating in the program and that shots are available. An appointment may be required.
More information about the flu:
Vaccination is the best protection against contracting the flu. For more information about the flu from Virginia Tech, visit our flu information page.
- About Hokie Wellness flu clinics, contact Hokie Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-8878.
- About flu vaccines and your medical plan, contact your plan provider.
- From students about the flu, contact Schiffert Health Center at email@example.com or 540-231-6444.
Note: A student flu clinic will be hosted by Schiffert Health Center on October 6, 2021 in the Rec Sports Fieldhouse, 510 Beamer Way, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visit this page for more information.