Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam issues stay at home order due to COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus)
From: Commonwealth of Virginia, Office of the Governor
To reinforce the Commonwealth’s response to COVID-19 and in furtherance of Executive Orders 51 (March 12, 2020) and 53 (March 23, 2020) and by virtue of the authority vested in me by Article V, Section 7 of the Constitution of Virginia, by § 44-146.17 of the Code of Virginia, I order the following:
All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided by this Order and Executive Order 53. To the extent individuals use shared or outdoor spaces, whether on land or on water, they must at all times maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members or caretakers. Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:
- Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53;
- Seeking medical attention, essential social services, governmental services, assistance from law enforcement,or emergency services;
- Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member;
- Traveling required by court order or to facilitate child custody, visitation,or child care;
- Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;
- Traveling to and from one’s residence, place of worship, or work;
- Traveling to and from an educational institution;
- Volunteering with organizations that provide charitable or social services;and
- Leaving one’s residence due to a reasonable fear for health or safety, at the direction of law enforcement, or at the direction of another government agency.
All public and private in-person gatherings of more than ten individuals are prohibited. This includes parties, celebrations, religious, or other social events, whether they occur indoor or outdoor. This restriction does not apply:
- To the operation of businesses not required to close to the public under Executive Order 53; or
- To the gathering of family members living in the same residence.
Institutions of higher education shall cease all in-person classes and instruction, and cancel all gatherings of more than ten individuals. For purposes of facilitating remote learning, performing critical research, or performing essential functions, institutions of higher education may continue to operate, provided that social distancing requirements are maintained.