Vaccination, booster, and testing program in place for 2022 Spring semester
Editor's note: As of Jan. 18, Presidential Policy Memorandum 318 was expired. Read more for details.
From: Office of the President
In its ongoing effort to mitigate the impact of COVID-19, the growing challenge of variants, a corresponding rise in cases in communities across the country, and to align with the recently updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Virginia Tech has issued the following requirements the 2022 Spring semester.
These requirements, outlined below, are in accordance with Presidential Policy Memorandum 318.
Effective December 28, 2021, the university is requiring COVID-19 booster shots within 14 days of eligibility for all students and employees. Individuals who are eligible now for a booster are required to upload their updated vaccination card as soon as the booster dose is received. Individuals who have not uploaded booster certifications will be subject to random surveillance testing. Those who are not yet eligible for boosters are required to receive the booster as soon as they are eligible and to upload their updated vaccination card as soon as the booster dose is received. Procedures remain in place for students and employees to request medical and religious exemptions. Those with approved existing exemptions do not need to request an exemption for the booster requirement.
Unvaccinated students and employees will continue to be tested weekly. Testing is not required for employees with approved exemptions who are in an approved fully remote working status. Additionally, during the Spring 2022 semester, the university will conduct limited surveillance testing of vaccinated students and employees. Those with updated vaccination records including a booster will be exempt.
Prior COVID-19 protocols and requirements, as outlined in Presidential Policy Memorandum 317, remain in effect. These requirements are summarized below.
- As communicated on June 8, 2021, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for all students who do not receive an exemption. Students were required to upload their vaccination cards by August 6, 2021.
- As communicated on August 19, 2021, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for all university employees (faculty, staff, and wage employees), regardless of the location of their Virginia Tech employment. Employees were required to upload their vaccination cards by October 1, 2021.
- As communicated on August 2, 2021, any faculty, staff, or student who is not fully vaccinated is required to participate in a surveillance testing program, which includes mandatory testing at an initial frequency of at least once a week. Additionally, any member of the faculty, staff, or student body not fully vaccinated will be required to wear a face covering when in university-owned-or-leased facilities.
- For faculty and staff, these requirements are a condition of employment. Any employee who has an approved medical or religious exemption and refuses to participate in the mandatory testing program and/or wear a face covering will be subject to applicable employment policies, with sanctions up to and including termination of employment.
- For students, these requirements are a condition to be part of the university community and they will impact the ability to live, learn, and work in any university-owned-or-leased facility. Any student who is unvaccinated and refuses to participate in the mandatory testing program and/or wear a face covering may be excluded from campus or participation in in-person activities until there is a demonstrated, sustained and continued reduction in transmission of COVID. Such students will be subject to the policies outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.