Virginia Tech Dining Services earns another top ranking
Virginia Tech Dining Services earned another accolade recently when Niche ranked the university first on its list of Best Campus Food.
“We are very proud of this recognition,” said Ted Faulkner, director of Dining Services. “The cost of our program combined with the quality and variety provided to our guests is one of the best values found in the entire nation. It is an honor knowing we are contributing to the overall experience of today’s students in a way that is both affordable and of high quality.”
Taking into account both cost and quality, Niche analyzed and ranked more than 2,000 colleges and universities across the United States. The assessment considered 471,506 opinion-based reviews of nearly 65,000 current students and recent alumni.
Reviews highlighted Virginia Tech’s healthy options, dietary accommodations, service, and facilities. The surveys of students were primarily considered, but Niche also looked at the average costs of meal plans, as reported by the U.S. Department of Education.
According to Niche’s methodology report, Virginia Tech ranked high in student surveys and also had a below average meal plan cost, giving it score "earns more than 4.5 standard deviations above the mean college, an exceptionally high number.”
Commenting on Dining Services goals for the future, Faulkner said, “We will continue striving to find ways that our services will excel while at the same time assist in controlling the costs of an education.”
Dining Services, which is run by more than 2,000 team members, boasts a lengthy list of accolades that proves its innovative approach to food, atmosphere, sustainability, and services. Princeton Review also ranked Virginia Tech in the top spot for 2015 and other recent recognitions include:
- Ted Faulkner, 2014 Premier Illuminating Excellence Award for Colleges and Universities Foodservice, Premier REACH;
- 2013 College and University Innovator of the Year, Food Management magazine;
- No. 1, Best Variety, College Prowler;
- No. 1, Best Quality Food, College Prowler;
- Turner Place at Lavery Hall, The National Association of College & University Food Services Grand Award for the Loyal E. Horton; Award in the category of Retail Sales – Multiple Concepts/Marketplace Design;
- 2014 Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award, Bronze Medal;
- Lavery Hall, Outstanding Design Award for Specialized Facility, American School University;
- 2014 Gold Loyal E. Horton Award, NACUFS, Flappers and Fall Guys theme dinner;
- 2013 No. 3, Best College Food in America, The Daily Meal magazine;
- 2013 Best Concepts: Best New Facility, Food Management magazine;
- No. 1, Fittest College, The Active Times;
- Turner Place at Lavery Hall, Silver LEED Certification, U.S. Green Building Council;
- A+ Campus Dining, College Prowler;
Written by Holly Paulette