To the Virginia Tech community,

The end of our fall semester wraps up a great year for Virginia Tech. The conclusion of 2022 brings the final celebrations of our 18-month sesquicentennial observance. I want to express my deep appreciation to the Sesquicentennial Steering Committee, the Council on Virginia Tech History, and everyone who participated in exploring the university’s first 150 years. Our focus on the future will be strengthened by a better understanding of our past.

This has been a year full of wonderful experiences and milestones, and we have achieved many of the goals that emerged from the Beyond Boundaries visioning exercise that began in 2015. As we turn our attention to the future and the coming new year, we are ready for the next steps in our journey. I’ll have more to say about this in my State of the University Address on Jan. 18, 2023, at 3:30 pm.

Students, thank you for everything you contribute to this unique and special community. Congratulations to our graduates who will take part in commencement ceremonies this Friday. Thank you to faculty and staff for your outstanding work and dedication. Each one of you plays an important role in our mission to improve the quality of life and the human condition within the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the world. Please take time over winter break to relax and enjoy time with family and friends. I look forward to coming back together in 2023.

With gratitude,

Tim Sands,
President