Virginia Tech® home

Chasity Grosh '99

Alumni Leader Spotlight

Chasity Grosh '99

Senior Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer, LL Flooring

I started my career at KPMG in Roanoke and subsequently spent time at Ernst & Young before moving to the private sector.

For the last 10 or so years, I had the pleasure of working at Capital One in a variety of leadership roles, including leading our finance risk office as well as serving as the product controller for each of the various segments within Capital One. In addition, I also spent dedicated time to diversity, inclusion and belonging within our organization, which is a true passion of mine.

I am a proud Hokie and mom of two girls and a most precious furry friend. Outside of work, I LOVE watching the Hokies play, watching my daughter play soccer and interior design.

This excites me the most about the future of my industry...
The automation and transformation — without a doubt! While the core capabilities of accountants will always be needed and very valuable, I think staff roles will transform significantly over the coming years to more 'reviewing and challenging' vs. 'doing' - and I'm really excited for the road ahead!

Best advice I've ever gotten...
I can't narrow it down to one — so I'll go with two1). Always leave it better than you found it 2). If you likely won't remember it in 2 years, don't fret about it now.

The last time I ventured out of my comfort zone...
I presented to our chief information officer — and although I have presented countless times before, I still get nervous and it's very much out of my comfort zone. I'll keep at it....maybe one day I will become more of a natural.

Favorite way to end the day...
Long walks with my dog and husband. And, if I'm super lucky, I can convince one or both of my daughters to come with us!

What do you want to do in five years professionally?...
I get this question a lot. My answer is always the same. No matter when I’ve been asked (i.e., 10 years ago), I want to be in roles where I feel like I'm growing, learning, and most of all, making a difference. I mentioned my best career advice was "always leave it better than you found it," and I truly live by that. I don't get overly focused on the title or role, but rather the value I can provide.

Biggest misconception about my job or industry...
This is an easy one -- accountants are boring. I mean, how untrue is that?!?

My no-fail, go-for-it motivational song...
Anything Whitney Houston or Britney Spears (don't judge! :))

A cause I'm most passionate about...
Diversity, inclusion and belonging. I've spent a ton of time learning over the last several years (I'm really sorry to say it wasn't sooner) and deeply recognize the opportunity — both specific to racial injustice and systemic racism as well as inclusion more generally. We've made progress but have so much more to do — and I'm committed to the journey and making a difference.

Fondest Virginia Tech memory or tradition...
Football Games — there is just nothing like them -- just pure Hokie pride! I get back as often as I possibly can — and love that now my daughters get to enjoy them, too!

Best part of being a Virginia Tech alum...
Virginia Tech is such a phenomenal school. I truly am just proud to have attended Virginia Tech, so grateful for such a great education (and all the memories while I was there!) and honestly, beam with pride to be part of the alumni community!

Media Contact:
Lindsey Haugh (540) 231-6959
lhaugh@vt.edu