To the university community,

I hope you will join me today in taking time to honor the memory and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  As we mark our sesquicentennial anniversary, we are challenged to reflect on the injustice and inequities that are part of our past so that we may come together to craft a more just and inclusive future. In this new semester and new year, we must continue moving from reflection to action, as we elevate conversations about racial justice in alignment with InclusiveVT — our institutional and individual commitment to Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. 

I urge you to take advantage of the many learning experiences available this week, including social justice activist Fania Davis’ keynote remarks this evening, an art exhibit celebrating Dr. King and Black History Month, and a performance by musician and activist Angélique Kidjo. You will also have an opportunity to hear one of America’s leading Black scientists, Karine Gibbs, discuss her research regarding “micro-crowdsourcing.”  More information and a full schedule of events is available on the Cultural and Community Centers’ calendar.

I want to express my appreciation to the MLK Celebration Committee and the Office for Inclusion and Diversity for planning and sponsoring a great week of opportunities for us all. Please take time to participate in this year’s MLK Celebration week, as we work together to create and strengthen our inclusive university community.

Tim Sands,
President