Thanks to Boeing’s investment as a foundational partner to the Virginia Tech Innovation Campus, seven students earned scholarships to fund their graduate education in computer science and engineering.

The inaugural cohort of Boeing Graduate Scholars, all based in Northern Virginia, bring an array of educational backgrounds, underscoring Virginia Tech’s goal of creating a diverse graduate technology campus in Alexandria.

In May, Boeing announced a $50 million, multiyear commitment to help jump-start Virginia Tech’s work to launch the Innovation Campus, which is expected to open its first building in the fall of 2024. Right now, its classes are held in Virginia Tech’s Northern Virginia Center in Falls Church.

Boeing’s commitment includes funding student scholarships, fostering recruitment of world class faculty and researchers, and funding STEM pathways programs for underserved K-12 students. The company also is committed to supporting diversity and diverse talent.

The Boeing Graduate Scholars’ interests range from interactive design and ethics in technology to artificial intelligence and cyber security.

“These exceptional students represent our commitment to excellence in diversity and education,” said Lance Collins, vice president and executive director of the Innovation Campus. “Boeing’s partnership is integral to our work to build the Innovation Campus into a world class graduate institution for students of all backgrounds and experience levels. We want our students to make a significant impact on the world.”

Boeing is the first foundational partner of the Innovation Campus. Its investment, the largest in university history, continues a relationship between the aerospace company and Virginia Tech that spans more than 70 years.

A groundbreaking ceremony, set for Sept. 14, will mark the start of construction for the first Innovation Campus academic building.

These seven scholars working toward master’s degrees in computer engineering and computer science are part of the second class of graduate students enrolled through the Innovation Campus. Their scholarships cover full tuition.

Meet our Boeing Graduate Scholars.

Tara Laughlin

Tara Laughlin
Undergraduate: Virginia Tech ’19
Major: Computer science and creative technologies
Innovation Campus degree: Master of engineering, computer science & applications

“My goal is to create a movement in the tech industry to focus on accessibility and inclusion. As a Hokie, I am committed to serve others and help people to the best of my ability. I’ve spent six years developing technological products that meet human needs, yet I still feel like I have so much to learn about how to create tech that provides equal opportunity for all its users.”

Brandon Pearl

Brandon Pearl
Undergraduate: Virginia Tech '21
Major: Computational modeling and data analytics

“I want to further explore the fields of artificial intelligence and software development. I have always been interested in the use of technology in developing solutions for problems around the world. I think AI has the potential to benefit the world in so many different ways, and I want to be a part of that movement.”

Jason Andrade

Jason Andrade
Undergraduate: Virginia Tech '16
Major: Accounting information systems, finance
Graduate: Virginia Tech '20
Major/degree: Masters of business administration, business analytics

“The masters of engineering program is an incredible opportunity for all students and working professionals having the desire to advance their education in computer science. It is also a great opportunity for me to expand my practical knowledge of how businesses are impacted by the rapid innovation and the global push for technological advancement that we see today.”

Darius Holland

Darius Holland
Undergraduate: Virginia Tech '11
Major: Business information technology

“In my future career, I seek to contribute more to the software engineering/programming field. What I hope to gain from my time at Virginia Tech is the knowledge to be a better developer but also afford me the chance at improved specialization. The chance to learn again with knowledgeable professors and talented students will contribute greatly to my education.”

Rachel Litscher

Rachel Litscher
Undergraduate: James Madison University '21
Major: Computer science

“I not only want to learn more about computer science and web development, but I am also seeking overall self-improvement. The ethics and professionalism in computer science course is important to me so I can improve my critical thinking and ethical decision-making skills. I believe the study of ethics is important for individuals to have a positive influence on society.”

Corey Salmon

Corey Salmon
Undergraduate: Georgia Tech ’18
Major: Computational media (computer science and literature, media, and communication)

“Virginia Tech’s approach of developing knowledge through real life experience will give me not just knowledge but also the practical experience that I lack. I look forward to opportunities to apply and practice what I learn in the program to actual projects and situations to better prepare myself for the professional world. My ultimate goal is to become a well-rounded interactive designer with creative visions and solid technical skills and knowledge to support them.”

Brian Timana-Gomez

Brian Timana-Gomez
Undergraduate: Virginia Tech '21
Major: Business information technology
Innovation Campus program: Master of engineering, computer engineering

“The master’s of engineering program in computer engineering will help me achieve my professional goals by training me in the technical expertise to best consult my clients. As a cybersecurity consultant, I believe that I would be able to best advise my clients on how to strengthen their defensive structure against cyberattacks.”