In memoriam: Donna Kelly, Division of Human Resources
Donna Kelly, age 74, passed away on March 17, 2021. Kelly was from St. Clairsville, Ohio, but had lived in Blacksburg for the past 16 years.
Kelly was an office assistant with the Division of Human Resources Benefits Team for 16 years. She recently celebrated her work anniversary in February. She served in Human Resources for her entire tenure with Virginia Tech.
Kelly is survived by her husband of 54 years, Truman; her two daughters, Patty Renneckar and Lisa Rayman; and her three grandchildren. Kelly was tremendously proud of her family and talked often about her daughters and her grandchildren.
“Donna was dedicated to her work in benefits. She was passionate about helping employees, as well as her teammates,” said Teresa Lyons, benefits manager for Human Resources and Kelly’s supervisor. “Donna was a blessing to many, both professionally and personally. She adored her family and loved sharing pictures and stories about them. I will miss her spirited personality. Most of all, I will miss her friendship.”
“I have had the pleasure of working with Donna for the past several years,” said Leisa Shelor, senior director of benefits for Human Resources. “Anyone who knew Donna quickly recognized the love she had for her family. In addition to appreciating her contributions to the team, I also very much appreciated her directness and will greatly miss her.”
A memorial service will be held in the fall.
A wreath was placed in Kelly’s honor at War Memorial Chapel on March 18.
Those in the Virginia Tech community who need assistance or counseling support may contact:
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557.
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787. Referral to a campus cleric may be made through this office.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anthem at 855-223-9277
- Aetna at 888-238-6232
- Kaiser Permanente at 866-517-7042
- Optima Health Vantage HMO at 866-846-2682
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- University Ombuds Office at 540-231-3125
- Women’s Center at Virginia Tech at 540-231-7806