WVTF Public Radio, RADIO IQ has announced the appointment of Bruce Marquis as development director for the public radio network. He will join WVTF on Sept. 10.

Marquis comes to WVTF from his current role as development officer for West Virginia Public Broadcasting, coordinating major gifts and planning capital campaigns for the statewide public radio and television network. Previously he has planned capital campaigns for the new $140 million Gaillard Center in Charleston, South Carolina, and a new Cultural District in Bloomington, Illinois, as well as directing annual giving programs for performing arts centers at the universities of Nebraska and Northern Iowa.

“I’m delighted to be joining a vibrant organization that has a dynamic vision for enhancing its service to Virginia Tech and communities across Virginia,” Marquis said. “I look forward to being able to contribute to that growth and to meet our listeners in the many cities we serve. I am also happy to be returning to my home state. I can’t wait to explore Roanoke and the Shenandoah Valley.”

“Development will be an increasingly important facet of our operations as we strive to bring in new listener-supporters and expand our major and planned giving efforts,” said WVTF General Manager Roger Duvall. “Bruce also brings experience in strategic planning which will be valuable as WVTF begins to map our vision of the future.”

Marquis holds a bachelor’s and master’s degree in fine arts from Ohio University, with additional training in development and capital campaign planning from the Center for Philanthropy at Indiana University. He has led sessions of capital campaign planning and expanding community-based support at state and national conferences, and has been a guest lecturer at numerous universities.

Marquis also brings deep roots in public broadcasting to WVTF. His father, Chalmers Marquis, was one of the early pioneers in public television, rising to become vice president of PBS. Marquis said he recalls sitting on phone banks for telethons as a teen, later serving as an intern at WETA in Washington, D.C., and an announcer for WOUB at Ohio University.

“Public radio and television have always been an integral part of my life,” Marquis said. “I listen to public radio daily. I’m proud to be helping something that I feel is an important voice in our nation’s conversation.”