In memoriam: Michelle Tompkins, Risk Management
Michelle Tompkins, age 51, passed away on Tuesday, May 19, 2020.
Tompkins was employed with Virginia Tech for more than 15 years and served the university in several capacities throughout her career.
Tompkins served as an operations specialist in Information Technology. She held a number of roles in Risk Management in the Controller’s Office, including serving as an office services aide, administrative support tech, and most recently, an auto claims specialist and office manager. She also served as a research assistant for several months in the Center for Geospatial Information Technology, part of the College of Natural Resources and Environment.
In addition, Tompkins was committed to her personal growth and the university’s motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). She was certified in a number of university programs including administrative professional development, customer service excellence, and the Campus Community and Emergency Response Team (C-CERT). In 2019, Tompkins was awarded the Vice President of Finance Abacus Award for “Being There to Count On.”
Ellen Douglas, director of risk management and Tompkins’s supervisor, said, “Michelle was a wonderful, kind soul, always willing to help anyone. We will miss her bright smile and infectious laugh.”
A wreath has been laid at War Memorial Chapel in Tompkins’ memory.
Funeral services have not been arranged at this time due to the impact of COVID-19. Additional information will be provided once service information is available.
Those in the Virginia Tech community who need assistance or counseling support may contact:
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557.
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787. Referral to a campus cleric may be made through this office.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anthem at 855-223-9277
- Aetna at 888-238-6232
- Kaiser Permanente at 866-517-7042
- Optima Health Vantage HMO at 866-846-2682
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- Women’s Center at Virginia Tech at 540-231-7806