Katherine Carter, Extension assistant youth livestock programming specialist, has recently been hired in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences.

Carter provides leadership to Virginia Cooperative Extension’s youth livestock programs and the state 4-H livestock judging team. She works cooperatively with faculty and staff, Extension agents, and programming partners to provide a comprehensive youth livestock program.

Her responsibilities include leadership for events, curriculum development, and creating new opportunities for positive youth development through animal science programs.

Prior to taking on her role in youth livestock programming at Virginia Tech, Carter worked as an Extension 4-H agent in Botetourt County, where she developed a robust and dynamic program for youth locally and across the state. Carter led the statewide youth quality assurance program and was a key member of the leadership team for 4-H livestock activities throughout Virginia.

Carter herself is a product of the Virginia 4-H program, having dedicated a lifetime to the organization’s youth livestock programs as a 4-H member, parent, volunteer, and leader. Throughout this time, she found that the programs consistently provided kids with essential skills for life and leadership, like responsibility, resilience, decision-making, and public speaking.

“I am in a position to give back to a program that truly influenced who I am today,” said Carter of her new role. “I had so many great mentors, leaders, and Extension agents that helped me, and I enjoy giving back. I’m trying to have a listening ear, to parents, agents, and volunteers, to find out what we can do to make the program the best that it can be. The basis of our work is to make sure we’re delivering programs that kids can learn from, grow from, and enjoy.”