Health notification: Virginia Department of Health ongoing investigation
Three cases of a sudden decrease in liver function in previously healthy individuals under the age of 25 are being investigated in Blacksburg.
The New River Valley Health District of the Virginia Department of Health is working in collaboration with community partners, including Virginia Tech, and health care providers in this investigation.
To date no clear links have been identified between the cases. The illness is not thought to be one that can be passed from person to person.
While the cause of this situation is undetermined at this time, there are a number of ways to keep your liver healthy:
- Avoid recreational, oral or intravenous drug abuse.
- Do not take prescription or other medication that has not been prescribed to you.
- Avoid excessive alcohol, don't leave your drink unattended, and only consume drinks you see being made.
- If you are sexually active, practice safe sex.
- Avoid tattoos from unlicensed artists.
- Keep your vaccines up-to-date.
For more information on liver health, contact your personal health care provider or your local health department.
This information is being released in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Act.