On June 2, Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets alumnus Timothy Williams was promoted to brigadier general and sworn in as the new adjutant general of Virginia by Deputy Secretary of the Commonwealth Kelly Thomasson.

In this role, Williams takes command of the Virginia Army National Guard, the Virginia Air National Guard, and the Virginia Defense Force and will be headquartered in Sandston, Virginia.

Williams graduated from the Corps of Cadets in 1985 where he was a member of the regimental band, the Highty-Tighties. He earned a degree in management science from the Pamplin College of Business and was commissioned as a field artillery officer in the U.S. Army. After five years on active duty, he transitioned to the Virginia National Guard in 1990.

The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets has figured prominently in the Williams’ family history. His father Pat was a member of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Class of 1952; his brother David, a retired lieutenant colonel, was a member of the Highty-Tighties and the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Class of 1979; his wife Cheryl was a member of the Highty-Tighties and the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Class of 1986; his daughter Grace was a member of the Highty-Tighties and the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Class of 2011; and his son-in-law, Joe Daniele, was a member of the Highty-Tighties and the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Class of 2009. 

Serving the commonwealth is also a tradition for the Williams family. His brother David, father Pat, and grandfather Bill all served in the Virginia National Guard, and his son Troy currently serves in the Virginia Air National Guard.

Williams shared his thoughts on his new role and the foundation he received here at Virginia Tech, which helped prepare him, “I am honored, and humbled, to be selected as the Adjutant General of Virginia and stand ready to serve the commonwealth and the nation. The leadership training and character development I received as a member of the [Virginia Tech] Corps of Cadets has served me well in every position I've held in my Army and civilian career, and I'm confident that I can meet the challenges that lie ahead armed with that knowledge and confidence to guide me! Ut Prosim.”