Blacksburg Summer Arts Festival starts June 6
A summer of free family fun begins on June 6 when the Blacksburg Summer Arts Festival presents its first of seven outdoor concerts, and continues throughout the summer with music, live theatre, movies, and more.
This is the 23rd year for the festival, which is sponsored by Virginia Tech and the Town of Blacksburg.
Friday Night Out concerts
All concerts will be held on Henderson Lawn at the corner of Main St. and College Ave. in downtown Blacksburg. The music will go on rain or shine, with Squires Old Dominion Ballroom acting as rain site. All concerts begin at 6 p.m.
- Rick Strickland Band (beach music and shag) June 6
- 3 Minute Lovin' (honkytonk/rockabilly/rock) June 13
- The Key West Band (Caribbean rock) June 20
- Dixie Power Trio (dixieland jazz) June 27
- Crossties (bluegrass) July 11
- Domino Band (variety) July 18
- Gerry Timlin (Irish folk) July 25
- "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" will be performed by the Roanoke Children's Theatre for six performances June 21-23. The show is adapted from the book by Jon Sceiszka and Lane Smith with book and lyrics by Robert Kauzlaric, and music by Paul Gilvary and William Rush. All performances will be held in the Squires Studio Theatre.
- "Poverty Creek Journal" and "Down to Breath," both based on local author Tom Gardner's "Poverty Creek Journal," will be performed in Theatre 101 with multiple performances on July 10-12 and 17-19.
Classic Movies at the Lyric
All movies will be shown at 3 p.m. at the Lyric Theatre, 135 College Ave.
- The Sting June 21 and 25
- The King and I July 19 and 23
- On the Waterfront Aug. 9 and 13
- "Printmaking Revered: 40 Years of Prints from the Robert Miller Collection" will be on display June 6 through Aug. 16 in the Perspective Gallery in Squires Student Center.
- "Senior Studio Show 2014" celebrates the works of students and will be on display June 6-July 11 in the Armory Art Gallery on Draper Road.
- "Life in the Trees" art installation opens July 1 in Theatre 101.
- "Maryann Harman: Fresh Paint" is one of a series of shows celebrating emeritus faculty of the School of Visual Arts and will be on display Aug. 1-Sept. 13 in the Armory Art Gallery.
- Summer Solstice Fest June 20-21
- Independence Day Celebration July 4
- Art at the Market July 19
- Steppin' Out Street Festival Aug. 1-2