The new Virginia Tech Student Government Association leadership team was inaugurated April 28 in a ceremony held in the War Memorial Chapel on campus.

Elizabeth Lazor of Centreville, Va., a rising senior majoring in finance in the Pamplin College of Business, will serve as president. Tuna Shankar of Rockville, Md., a rising junior majoring in communication in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences will be vice president.

B.H. Kim of Fredericksburg, Va., a rising junior majoring in economics in the College of Science, will serve as speaker of the Senate. Stephen Hensell of Stafford, Va., a rising junior majoring in political science in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, is speaker of the House.

Thirty new senators were also sworn in during the ceremony.

"I am incredibly humbled and honored to begin my term as the newest SGA president and stand confident in the fact that I will do my best to not only represent the entire student body," said Lazor, "but also to ensure that my term will serve the students in the ways that they find most necessary.”

Under the leadership of outgoing president Brent Ashley, the 2013-14 Student Government Association leadership team:

• Initiated plans with the university to establish an on-campus voting precinct for elections;
  • Established the Virginia Tech Police Department Student Advisory Council;
  • Added an undergraduate student representative to the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors to the SGA leadership structure;
  • Added a resolution through the commission structure to recognize the Student Government Association as an official part of university governance to more effectively make change for students;
  • Passed a resolution to stop tobacco sales on campus; and
  • Changed policy to stop printing dining receipts unless requested (effective 2015).

“Thanks to the incredible leadership of the outgoing president and vice president, Brent Ashley and Anjelica Smith, I am excited for my new role and prepared for the challenges that will come in the coming year," said Lazor.

When asked about her presidential agenda, Lazor made it clear that it will not be about her own personal goals and objectives. She says she will focus on the wishes of the student body.

“It is my duty and responsibility as student body president to represent the undergraduate students and push the issues they view as important,” said Lazor. “As our platform outlined, Tuna and I will work every day to make sure that the student government is accessible, approachable, and active. Our platform has been intentionally vague as Tuna and I believe very strongly that we are here to carry out the agenda that the student body writes for us.”

The SGA website has information for activities and how to get involved in giving students a voice on campus.

Written by Drew Knapp