Virginia Tech announces search committee for dean of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
Virginia Tech has announced the search committee for a new dean of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Gerhardt Schurig recently announced that he will step down as dean of the college, after serving in the role for nine years. Schurig joined the veterinary college faculty in 1978, and plans to return to his previous faculty home, the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, where he will teach courses in immunology and conduct research.
The Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine is a leading biomedical and clinical research center, enrolling more than 500 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and graduate students. A three-campus professional school, the college is operated by the land-grant universities of Virginia Tech and the University of Maryland. Its main campus in Blacksburg, Va., features the Veterinary Teaching Hospital where more than 55,000 animals are treated annually. Other campuses include the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, Va., and the Gudelsky Veterinary Center in College Park, Md., home of the Center for Public and Corporate Veterinary Medicine.
Senior Vice President and Provost Mark McNamee will chair the search committee. Members of the search committee are:
- Sherrie Clark-Deener, associate professor, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
- Jack Davis, dean, College of Architecture and Urban Studies
- Dennis Dean, University Distinguished Professor and director of the Fralin Life Sciences Institute and Virginia Bioinformatics Institute
- Karen DePauw, vice president and dean for graduate education
- Stefan Duma, professor, School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences, College of Engineering
- François Elvinger, professor, Department of Population Health Sciences
- David Gerrard, professor, Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Ian Herring, associate professor, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
- Kathy Hosig, associate professor, Department of Population Health Sciences
- X.J. Meng, professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology
- Bess Pierce, clinical associate professor, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
- Bill Pierson, director, Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Carolyn Sink, supervisor, Diagnostic Services, Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Xiaoping Zhu, associate professor, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maryland
The search committee welcomes nominations for the position. Virginia Tech has engaged Isaacson, Miller to assist with this search. For confidential inquiries, or to nominate an individual for this position, please email Phillip Jaeger, vice president at Isaacson, Miller, or call 202-216-2276. You may also send nominations via email to Mark McNamee, or via campus mail, 210 Burruss Hall (0132).
The position description and application process will be announced later this month and will be available through the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost website.