In memoriam: Bernard Rufus (B.J.) Jones, former assistant registrar, Information Systems and Computing team
Bernard Rufus (B.J.) Jones, former assistant registrar and member of the Information Systems and Computing team (now known as Application Information Systems), with a combined total of 24 years of service to Virginia Tech, died on Jan. 13.
Born in 1947 in Carroll County, Va., Jones is a two-time graduate of Virginia Tech, earning his bachelor’s degree in business in 1973 and master’s degree in business administration in 1982.
A member of the Virginia Tech community since 1973, Jones served for 17 years in the Office of the University Registrar, where he assisted with the university’s inaugural implementation of an automated student record system. From 1990-97, Jones was a member of the Information Systems and Computing Center team.
A resident of McCoy, Va., Jones is survived by his wife Ollie; their two children, Laci and Ryan; and three grandchildren. Jones was a member of the Blacksburg Christian Church and served in the U.S. Air Force during the Vietnam era.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Blacksburg Christian Church Building Fund, 240 Watson Ave., Blacksburg, Va. 24060 or the Long Shop-McCoy Fire and Rescue, Box 489, McCoy, Va. 24111.
Those in the university community who may wish assistance or desire counseling support may contact:
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anthem at 1-855-223-9277
- Aetna at 1-888-238-6232
- Kaiser Permanente at 1-866-517-7042
- Referrals to a campus cleric may be done through the Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787.