Virginia Tech welcomes 8,700 students to campus Aug. 17-20
Approximately 8,700 students will move in to Virginia Tech residence halls from Wednesday, Aug. 17, to Saturday, Aug. 20.
The number of visitors to campus along with ongoing construction projects could increase traffic concerns. The following tips should help alleviate some confusion and apprehension on the parts of students, parents, and the community.
See the related Campus Notice "I-81 blasting schedule altered for return of students" for additional travel information.
2011 Move-in Important Information
- Scheduled move-in times are 8 a.m.-5 p.m., but check the residence hall opening/closing schedules for information on specific residence halls.
- Students and guests should review the move-in map. It gives directions to campus from the interstate; shows residence hall locations and where exactly to check in upon arrival; guides students and parents to long-term parking once the initial 30 minutes are up; and highlights which streets to use on move-in days.
- Washington Street will be closed to westbound traffic from Spring Road to Kent Street, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., on move-in days.
- Students moving in have only 30 minutes each to unload belongings from their vehicles. This will require a 30-minute unloading permit, which students will receive upon check-in at their residence hall. For more information, visit Housing and Residence Life – Parking.
- An excellent way to make those 30 minutes count is with the Hokie Helpers, a force of volunteers available Wednesday through Saturday at all residence halls to help unload cars and get items inside as quickly as possible.
- Students should take advantage of the Get Connected computer support teams on hand at all residence halls to help secure computers and connect students to the Virginia Tech network and the Internet.
- For anything else, students should consult their resident advisor. They will be stationed at check-in tables at the buildings.
- Dining plans will take effect beginning with dinner on Aug. 18. Until then, meals are served on a cash, Dining Dollars, or Hokie Passport Account basis only.
For more information on move-in days and general move-in information, visit the Housing and Residence Life website.