The "Crazy for the Hokiemobiles" Contest recently announced not one, but two first place winners. Matthew Bolling of Mechanicsville, Va., and Brian Wenk of Richmond, Va., split the top prize of $3,000.

“We had over 20 submissions for the contest,” commented Melissa Richards, director of marketing and strategic communications at Virginia Tech. “We did not doubt that Hokie fans are dedicated enough to decorate their vehicles. You can’t drive anywhere in Virginia during football season and not see Hokie flags flying on cars. But we were pleasantly surprised with the originality, details, and time put into every Hokiemobile nomination.”

Contest submissions were judged on creative and unique use of official Virginia Tech logos and colors; size of the logos used; and overall crazy Hokie appearance of the vehicle.

Bolling, a Virginia Tech Class of 2006 alumnus, says he transformed his 2001 Pontiac Grand Am from plain silver to the maroon and orange Hokiemobile that it is today because he was inspired years ago by his co-winner Wenk. “When I was a student I used to see his car around campus. I liked it so much that I had to have my own.” Bolling even created a dedicated website called Hokierides.com to show off his car.

Wenk says he decorated his car seven years ago on a dare. “I have had season football tickets and have been tailgating with the same group of buddies for 20 years. They bet me that I wouldn’t permanently decorate my car,” he said. “But I did, and we have had so much fun with it ever since.”

George Bristol of Boones Mill, Va., earned the second place prize of $1,000. He submitted two antique vehicles, a 1957 Chevy convertible and a 1953 Chevy pickup. Matthew Cole of Manassas, Va., took home the third place prize of $500. His truck is stenciled with Hokie logos from bumper to bumper and carries a miniature Lane stadium in the back.

Pictures of all four winning vehicles are displayed on the contest website.

Virginia Tech’s University Bookstore sponsored the prizes. The University Bookstore, which operates as a non-profit corporation, has generated over $43 million to Virginia Tech for student scholarships and improvements since 1968.

Read a related Virginia Tech News story: “Annual Crazy for the Hokies contest hits the road”